Green Card Marriage Timeline: Understanding the Process and Expectations

Entering into a marriage with a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident provides foreign nationals with a pathway to obtaining a green card—officially known as lawful permanent residency. My experience navigating the green card marriage timeline has equipped me with a profound understanding of the process. This journey begins with the submission of the necessary documentation to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and can extend over several months or even years before a marriage-based green card is granted.

As a U.S. citizen or green card holder, marrying a non-U.S. resident maneuvers me into a position where I must meticulously validate the authenticity of my marriage. The purpose of this scrutiny is to ensure that the marriage is not solely conducted for immigration benefits. After establishing the legitimacy of my relationship, the timeline proceeds through various stages: from petition filing and approval to adjustment of status and, eventually, to the issuance of the green card. Each step entails specific forms, fees, and waiting periods, which can vary depending on the couple’s unique circumstances and the current workload of USCIS.

While the experience of obtaining a green card through marriage is unique for every couple, understanding the timeline helps to set realistic expectations. I have witnessed how patience and compliance play crucial roles in this process. During the application period, it’s imperative for me to stay informed of any policy changes that could impact my case. While the steps are sequential, the exact duration of each phase can be unpredictable due to variable processing times and individual case complexities.

Eligibility and Application Process

In this section, I will guide you through the specific criteria required for eligibility and relay the steps involved in the green card marriage application process.

Determining Eligibility

To begin my journey toward a green card marriage, I must ensure that I and my spouse meet the necessary eligibility criteria. As the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, I am the petitioner who must file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. The foremost requirement is to establish the legitimacy of my marriage. This means my marriage must be legal where it was performed and it should be entered in good faith and not solely for obtaining an immigration benefit.

Submitting the Petition

Once eligibility is confirmed, I need to submit Form I-130 along with Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Here’s what I must include in my application:

  • Completed Form I-130 and I-130A
  • Proof of my U.S. citizenship or permanent residence
  • A legal marriage certificate
  • Evidence to demonstrate an authentic marriage
  • Payment for the filing fee

It’s important for me to collect and organize documentation of my bona fide marital relationship to avoid delays or denials.

Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing

If my spouse is currently in the United States, they may be eligible to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, concurrently with my I-130 petition. This process, known as Adjustment of Status, allows them to get a green card without having to return to their home country for visa processing.

Conversely, if my spouse resides outside the U.S., we must go through Consular Processing. Upon approval of my I-130 petition, the case is transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC), and eventually, my spouse will apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.

In both scenarios, my spouse may also apply for Employment Authorization by filing a Form I-765 to work in the U.S. while our case is pending. The timeline for these processes varies, and it is critical to pay careful attention to all correspondence from USCIS or the NVC to prevent any setbacks.

After Submission: Interview to Naturalization

Once I have submitted my green card application, the journey from the interview process to eventual naturalization involves meticulous steps, adherence to legal requirements, and a thorough understanding of the timeline.

USCIS Processing and Interview

After the submission of my green card application, often termed Adjustment of Status if applying from within the United States, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) starts processing the case. Processing times vary, but they can be lengthy, often many months. During this period, I must:

  • Complete a biometrics appointment, where my fingerprints and photo are taken.
  • Attend a medical exam conducted by a USCIS-approved physician, which includes the submission of Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.

After the initial processing, I will be scheduled for an interview at a USCIS office. Typically for a green card through marriage, both I and my spouse (the sponsor) will need to attend. It’s vital that I bring all necessary supporting documents, such as the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864), proof of the genuineness of my marriage, and my spouse’s citizenship evidence.

Obtaining the Green Card

If my application is approved after the interview, there are several key steps before I receive my green card:

  • Paying the USCIS Immigrant Fee, which is necessary before the green card is mailed to me.
  • For applicants outside the United States, completing the DS-260 form for consular processing and attending the green card interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate are requisite steps.

Once these steps are successfully completed, my green card will be mailed to me, formally indicating my status as a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Maintaining Lawful Status and Pursuing Citizenship

Maintaining my lawful status involves adhering to all legal requirements in the U.S., including:

  • Not engaging in activities that would make me removable under immigration laws.
  • Applying for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) if I want to work before I get my green card. This involves submitting Form I-765 to USCIS.
  • Renewing the green card if necessary. Although some green cards are conditional and need renewal after two years, most need renewal after ten years.

After sustaining my permanent resident status for typically five years (or three years if married to a U.S. citizen), I may be eligible to file for naturalization using Form N-400. The citizenship process includes attending an interview, passing English and civics tests, and taking an oath of allegiance to the United States. Engaging a competent immigration attorney can be crucial to navigate complexities and ensure compliance with all requirements throughout the process.

By monitoring the Visa Bulletin and being aware of my priority date, I can stay informed about my case’s progression, especially if I’m subjected to country-specific quotas. It’s also important to note that travel outside the United States while my application is pending may require special permission via a travel document (Form I-131) to avoid abandonment of my adjustment of status application.

You May Also Like

More From Author

+ There are no comments

Add yours