Child Support Enforcement outside the USA

Child Support Enforcement Outside the USA

If you have a situation where the parent of a child under a child support order lives outside of the USA or is planning to leave the country, you’ll need to know how to deal with this situation. If your child support order has been issued from a court in the US, you usually won’t run into a problem enforcing the order when the parent lives in another country, but it all depends on the country where the person is living.

Many countries worldwide have a signed agreement with the US federal government to enforce child support orders. If the other parent of the child lives in one of these countries, you can work with the agency for child support in your state if any problems arise. They have the resources available to contact the overseas offices to ensure that your agreement is enforced.

If the other parent lives in a country that has not signed an agreement with the federal government to enforce these orders, some things can be done, but the process is more complex and difficult. The foreign country would need to issue its order for child support, and some countries don’t have child support laws. In this case, you will need to consult with a child support lawyer to find out how to proceed.

If the parent who has left the country is a United States government employee, there are resources available to help find the person and enforce the agreement. If the parent is not working for the government, you can contact the foreign embassy that will provide you with a referral to a local investigator.

If You Are Living Abroad

If you have a child support order from the United States and live abroad, you’ll need to work with the agency for child support in the state where the other parent lives. The laws for child support vary from one state to the next, so it’s important to contact the right agency.

When Your Partner Wants to Leave the Country

The US government is well aware that some parents will want to leave the country intentionally to avoid paying child support. For this reason, the government has put a restriction in place for parents that have past-due support owing. Any parent that has an amount owing of more than $2,500 may have the current passport revoked and any further passport applications denied. The only way to get access to a passport again is to pay the money owed.

If you suspect that a parent will be leaving the country to avoid paying support intentionally, it’s time to contact a child support attorney. Enforcing these agreements at an international level can get extremely complicated. A lawyer will let you know more about getting this agreement enforced and can deal with US government agencies and foreign agencies on your behalf if necessary.

You May Also Like

More From Author

+ There are no comments

Add yours